Intermittent fasting has become a huge craze recently but is it right for you? This episode of Higher Health presents great insight into our personal experience with the approach. Bottom line is fasting works, but before setting out on using it for yourself make sure you do your research.
- Understanding reasons why you should or should not try fasting is very important
- Are you sleeping enough? How are your stress levels? Do you have a tendency to binge?
- A good eating time frame to start with is 10hours of eating with 14hours of fasting a day. Optimal would be 8hours of eating with 16 of fasting
- Onnit academy shares a great guide for beginners on intermittent fasting here
- Strategically eating higher fat meals or a total ketosis approach could amplify the effects of intermittent fasting by priming the body to burn fat for fuel while in a fasting state
- The human species has evolved through famine and fasting is something that our bodies can absolutely handle
- Fasting can be used as a daily approach or added as a once or twice occurrence for longer fasting periods within one week
- Flexible Dieting/IIFYM vs Meal Plans – The pros and cons of both.
- Laurin differentiates between meal plans, macro tracking and flexible dieting. She heavily encourages being able to be flexible with your diet in your off season or in non cutting phase (not restricting foods or having anxiety relating to hitting numbers). For example, a strategy such as tracking all day and allowing an intuitive meal in the evening.
- Flexible dieting could become another form of disordered eating
- A meal plan can be appropriate as a teaching tool, to remove decisions based around food, and to help with consistency.
- Nutrition is a skill that takes practice. ([12:00] in discusses a good place to start) Start small with your goals!
- After a period of dieting, your body can be in a more “sensitive” state. An exit strategy (for competitors and non) is equally as important as the dieting phase itself.
- Intake vs Expenditure is at the base of weight loss, however nutrient timing can make an impact.
- Refeeds are NOT cheat meals. Refeeds are structured days with target numbers, typically increasing carbs specifically. The frequency of refeeds ([31:00]), consecutive refeeds, and how to plan refeed days.
- The benefits of a refeed or high carb day on leptin, appetite, weight loss and dieting mindset.
- Fit shaming is a really thing
- Calling people out for being different has been part of human nature FOREVER
- Bodybuilding can be extremely unhealthy but the journey of learning to live a new way can be so beneficial if you learn to pick and choose from the correct areas of experience
- To actually be successful in a certain are WILL absolutely require you to be hyper focused at some point in time
- Anything we ingest can have an impact on many physiological processes, including mental focus.
- Warrior Fuel was born from a lack of pre workouts that focused on brain stimulation and focus.
- Most pre workouts are stimulant heavy and can cause adverse effects like vaso restriction. Caffeine however has shown positive effects on performance (200-400 mg dosing.
- Outside of Warrior Fuel Ryan’s top supplements include probiotics and antioxidants for overall health.
- Artificial coloring and flavoring can impact the absorption of products. Warrior Fuel is free of artificial coloring and moving towards being 100% natural in regard to flavoring.
- Most companies are looking to create the greatest profit margins and not focusing on the quality of the product.
- Becoming a sponsored athlete is a goal of many competitors and athletes. There are few spots with companies available and a huge pool of applicants. Providing value is the number one way to becoming a sponsored athlete. However, athletes need to recognize their value and not work for free.
- Money will come with quality.
The stigma around the cannabis plant has existed for most of our lives but as we move into a new age we need to open our minds and live curiously. Is cannabis what every makes it out to be? Should it really be considered something used by lazy couch potatoes? Maybe, but maybe not. Joe and Lauren discuss cannabis in their own lives and how it’s uses have changed over time.
- We should speak openly about the things we firmly believe in
- The most important part of physique transformations lies in the ability to relax and recover and when used properly cannabis can prove to be extremely beneficial
- As the laws change state by state more and more people feel comfortable exploring the possibles uses for cannabis
- We have only yet scratched the surface as to all the potential uses for the plant and the fact that much research is yet to come makes this an extremely interesting time to be alive
- Just because you experienced cannabis in a particular way in the past does not mean that it is the norm and many new products allow for endless combinations of effects and benefits